Aurora man sent to prison for telephone threats to Sugar Grove resident

By on August 17, 2010

An Aurora man has been sentenced to prison for threatening to kill his former girlfriend, the culmination of months of harassment after the relationship ended.

Andrew M. Talley, 21, of the 700 block of Nantucket Road, Aurora, was sentenced Friday, Aug. 13, 2010, by Associate Judge Robert Morrow to four years in the Illinois Department of Corrections.

Earlier Aug. 13, Talley pleaded guilty to one count of telephone harassment, a Class 4 felony, and one count of violation of an order of protection, a Class A misdemeanor.

On Feb. 10, 2010, Talley, who was under court order to avoid all contact with the victim, his former girlfriend of Sugar Grove, telephoned the victim and left her a voice message in which he said that he had been close to killing her when he was released from the Kane County jail on Feb. 3, 2010, and that he wanted to look her in the eyes when he killed her.

In issuing his sentence, Judge Morrow said that Talley’s long history of harassing this victim factored into his decision to sentence Talley to IDOC. Talley had previously been convicted twice of telephone harassment with this victim, each a Class 4 felony, and once of a violation of an order of protection, a Class A misdemeanor.

The victim sought and received the order of protection in August 2009 after Talley called her 55 times within 16 hours.

Talley was on probation for one of the Class 4 felonies when he called the victim
Feb. 18, 2010, and threatened to kill her.

Based on Illinois law, Talley was given day-for-day sentencing. Talley received credit for 159 days served in the Kane County jail.

“This sentence was possible largely because of the solid and detailed work of Sugar Grove Police Officer Maria Durham and Sugar Grove Police Investigator John Sizer. They were quick to respond to the needs of the victim and to document all of the harassment she has endured at the hands the defendant,” said Kane County Assistant State’s Attorney Jamie L. Mosser, who prosecuted the case.