Rental assistance available in KC

By on October 22, 2010

Kane County—Low-income renters in Kane County who are struggling to make their monthly rent payment are encouraged to check with area nonprofit organizations to see if they qualify for rental assistance.

Lazarus House administers a program, in conjunction with other area non-profits, to provide a limited number of subsidized apartments through a program funded by the Illinois Housing Development Authority.

“No one should be embarrassed or afraid to seek help,” said Lazarus House Outreach Manager Liz Eakins. “We know how tough times are. We are here to serve. Applicants should be assured that all appointments are kept confidential. If an applicant doesn’t qualify for the rental program, we may still be able to refer them to other helpful services. No one knows until they ask.”

Along with Lazarus House, the Association for Individual Development, Aurora Public Action to Deliver Shelter (Hesed) and Ecker Center for Mental Health are accepting applications. If a rental unit is not immediately available for a qualifying household, the applicant’s name may be placed on a wait list. A few additional units will become available soon in the north and central portions of Kane County.

To qualify for the program, households must fall within extremely or severely low income limits as defined by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. These annual income limits range from $15,840 for a household of one person to $29,850 for a household of eight. Households must have a stable income to pay a portion of the rent, satisfactorily complete the application process and abide by lease rules and riders. Other conditions apply.

More detail may be found in the brochure, “Rental Support Program for Kane County,” posted online at,,, and


People wishing to apply for a unit
are encouraged to contact the agency
in their area for an application.

Contact numbers are:
Northern Kane County:
Association for Individual Development, (847) 931-6283 or
Ecker Center for Mental Health,
(847) 695-0484

Central Kane County:
Lazarus House, (630) 587-5872

Southern Kane County:
Association for Individual Development, (847) 931-6283 or Public Action to
Deliver Shelter (Hesed House),
(630) 897-2165, ext. 511 or ext. 512