Seniors may apply for utility tax refund

By on January 29, 2011

Elburn—Between Jan. 1 and March 31, anyone age 65 and older who meets certain requirements can apply to receive a utility tax refund. Seniors must earn less than $55,000 a year to receive up to 75 percent of their gas and electric bills, with a cap of $150 annually per household.

The tax refund was eliminated in September 2009, when the Village Board observed misuses and abuses in applying for the refund. It was reinstated in January 2010.