Elburn man dies in New Year’s Day house fire

By on January 6, 2012

ELBURN—A house fire on New Year’s Day claimed the life of an Elburn man.

Robert J. O’Donnell, 50, was discovered by firefighters from the Elburn and Countryside First Protection District after they extinguished a fire in O’Donnell’s home on the 1200 block of Wise Street on Jan. 1. O’Donnell was found in the upstairs master bedroom and pronounced dead at the scene by the Kane County Coroner’s Office, with the time of death at approximately 2:30 p.m.

O’Donnell’s wife was not home at the time of the fire.

The blaze took firefighters approximately 30 minutes to extinguish upon their arrival at 2:24 p.m. According to the Elburn and Countryside Fire Protection District, the cause of death is still pending per the Kane County Coroner’s official report. The cause and origin of the fire are also being withheld while a third-party investigator, hired by the homeowner’s insurance provider, reviews the incident.