Kaneville Township Highway Commissioner

By on April 2, 2009

by Susan O’Neill
Long has been the Kaneville Township Road Commissioner for 28 years, and said he is proud of the roads in Kaneville. Challenger Koehring said he is running because he thinks things have been neglected and that there has been a lack of regular maintenance. He said he has a plan for how to start and what to fix.

The responsibilities of the highway commissioner include maintaining the roads and ditches, mowing and maintaining roadsides and culverts, making sure roads are salted and plowed in the winter, and keeping the equipment maintained.

Long said he tries to keep the roads blacktopped and in good shape. Within his budget, he said he is able to pave one mile a year. He said he has gradually been widening the roads from 18 feet to 22 feet. Kaneville also has four miles of gravel road, and Long said he keeps them well-graded.

He said he does everything himself except pave the roads. He said Kane County puts out the bids and Aurora Blacktop has been doing the work.

He said that even though it is a part-time job, he is on call 24 hours a day, if trees go down across the road or other emergencies happen. The job pays $25,000 a year.

He said he has years of experience with the job, has good communication with the Kane County Highway Department and knows most of the people in town.

Koehring said the biggest problem in the township is the standing water caused by years of silt in the ditches. He said that 90 percent of the culverts are clogged up with brush and trees growing in the main drains. He said to fix the situation would not cost that much. He said he would clean out all the ditches to get the water moving again.

He said the snow plow tears up the easements in front of people’s property and he would reseed those areas. He said his mechanical skills would allow him to maintain the equipment himself.

Dennis Long
Occupation: farmer
28 years as highway
commissioner

Gary Koehring
Occupation: construction and
concrete business; black-top
for five years
New candidate

1. Leopold

April 2, 2009 at 1:54 PM

Is the challenger planning on quiting his full time job in order to be on call 24 hours a day? It doesn’t just snow from 5 p.m. till 8 a.m. Its hard to get all of the ditches mowed, brush cut, holes filled, roads grated and all the other numerous tasks on nights and weekends. Should it not be concerning that in such a small community very few people know who you are? You have made some aggressive comments in other media outlets and the only thing in 90 percent of the ditches in town are your signs. Can you back any of this up. This citizen thinks not. Dennis Long has done a fine job in his 28 years of service in this demanding and underappreciated job and I have full trust that he will continue to do.

2. Ginny

April 2, 2009 at 5:29 PM

Koehring said the biggest problem in the township is the standing water caused by years of silt in the ditches. He said that 90 percent of the culverts are clogged up with brush and trees growing in the main drains. What is he talking about? Does Koehring know which roads are in Kaneville Township vs. the Village of Kaneville? Did he ever complain at a Township Meeting? Maybe he is confused on what a culvert is? There are drainage ditches, which are PRIVATELY owned and in the Village of Kaneville. Is that the responsibility of the Kaneville Township Road Commissioner now?

He said the snow plow tears up the easements in front of people’s property. It is not only caused from the plows, its caused from the salt spread on the roadways and it kills the grass. If Koehring is elected would he raise tax dollars for all the supposedle needed grass seed? Doesn’t the Township own the easements anyway? As far as maintaining the equipment, has Koehring seen the equipment? You could eat off the floors inside the cabs.

As for the comment from Leopold above, on how Koehring will have the time to fufill the job, I was under the assumption Koehring is planning on turning the job over, or part of it to someone else and it’s the same person who has wrecked the snow plow once and buried it another?

I know Denny is hard working, dependable and loyal and we should all remember that when we vote!

3. Jan

April 2, 2009 at 9:21 PM

I was just wondering where is Gary Koehring getting his information from? I have SEEN the Highway Comm Denny Long out plowing roads at 1000 pm and on the weekends! Who does Plow the snow where Gary lives in Kaneville? Right Our Current Rd Comm Denny Long! Gary nees to get his info straight!

4. Barb

April 3, 2009 at 5:25 AM

if Gary Koehling is going to turn the job over or part of it, what part of this PART TIME job is he is he going to do himself? Who will be the person on call 24 hrs a day? Gary claims he has been plowing snow commercially for yrs. There is a BIG difference between plowing driveways and plowing roads. I know Dennis is a hard working man. We all need to stand behind him.

5. Content Citizen

April 4, 2009 at 10:22 AM

I did not realize that this race a big deal. I can’t complain about the job that being done right now, well not any more so than should be expected. Who has a 100 percent approval rating anyways? Unless you have a curb, chances are that you might end up with a little gravel in your yard and a few blades of hibernating grass may be removed. To complain about that is to complain about having to rake leaves that fall into your yard from your neighbor’s tree. To be honest, with work and all Tuesday, I wasn’t even going to vote because I didn’t think it was even going to matter. However, the campaign that race car gary and his crew chief have been running is becoming a tired act. This is the first time I have ever had to check the caller ID on a 557 number and the first time I do not want to answer the door. It does me well to know that this will all be over in a mere few days, but it does invoke serious doubts about the operation that will be run if he is successful. That being said, while there are things that may upset us briefly, let us not forget the solid body of work which vastly outweighs these things. No amount of grass seed will make the grass greener on the other side for someone with no body of work to stand upon.

6. Township Resident

April 4, 2009 at 6:52 PM

I chuckled when I read these comments. Leopold’s comment about people not knowing Gary – well perhaps you do not know him but many Kaneville Township residents do. Gary did not write any comments to the media himself – aggressive comments came from a very unhappy Kaneville Townhsip resident!! Gary believes in clean and maintained equipment as well – but really, if you can eat off the floors of a truck you must not be doing any dirty work!!

Denny also has other people driving the plow trucks and yes we have seen the plow job they do – especially the Once around the CUL-DE-SAC jobs….
    Barbs comment – DUH – plowing driveways is residential plowing – commercial plowing is hugh parking lots with loading docks and tight corners and cars to manuever around. SO yes Gary does know how to snow plow!! And content citizen – don’t worry about checking your caller ID anymore – Gary is not a phone person. He has not made one campaign phone call – he is a face to face guy so if he does stop by your house again in the next couple days – be sure to hide behind the curtains and pretend you are not home!!
    I happened to be driving through town today and I saw Denny with the road grader behind the Township truck and I thought WOW look at him working on a Saturday – fixing the Township up right before the election. Guess Where Denny went – right down Dauberman Road to his own house. He graded his property with the township equipment hopefully for one last time!!

Vote Gary Koehring for Highway Commissioner!
    HOPEFULLY DENNY IS LONG GONE………….

7. Stop the Bickering

April 4, 2009 at 7:20 PM

To the “Content Citizen”…
    Mr. Koehring has stoped by my house and introduced himself and told me his insight as far as what he would like to change if he gets elected as Road Commisionser and I think it is about time this town sides with Gary. In the 26 years of living in Kaneville Township I have never had anyone running for office come to my door and introduce themselves. It was nice to actually put a face to the name on the ballet and he is definately going to get my vote. I have not seen any arcitle’s that Gary has written or HIS FAMILY for that matter. As far as I am concerned the only one pushing really hard at campaigning in this race is Dennis Long. So when all of these articles are being put in the press and all of these comments are posted here it makes me wonder what this community has come to. Anyone has the opportunity to run for Road Commisionser if they choose. And what about all of the lies and accusisitions that Dennis Long and his family have made about Gary. To me it sounds like Dennis is just trying to cover himself so no one see’s all the mistakes and unfufilled projects that he has not done. No one ever knows the whole story or let alone both sides of the story. Gary never wrote that story that was published in the Chronicle or any other paper for that matter. The only articles that I have seen are all from Dennis Long or about how “well” he has done his job over the past 28 years.
    What is wrong about going to your neighbors and getting to know them as I can recall someone above complained that no one knows who he is. Well it seems to me that it is your guys own fault. As for “tiring act” that is non-sense it is about time someone stands up and runs against the guy that has not been fulfilling his duties over the past 28 years. Dennis Long has gotton to the age that he is not able to keep up with the responsibilities anymore and it is starting to show.

Bye the way he does not do everything by himself; he has his relatives and hires other people to assist with mowing, snowplowing, and other maintance.

8. A REAL TOWNSHIP RESIDENT

April 4, 2009 at 8:24 PM

I would like to state a few facts about Mr. Dennis Long’s long career as the Kaneville township road comm. I have lived in the Kaneland Estates subdivision for nearly 20 years and I can testify with 100% accuracy that Mr. Long has sorely neglected his duties as the township road comm. but up until this election cycle he has run un opposed and to that he has become used to doing the same old thing the same old way. I have had many a night that I have had to clear a path to my home when my school age children would come home at 9 or 10pm from there part time jobs to the usual snow covered roads.I am not just talking about a dusting of snow I mean snow that you literally cant get through in a car. It has become somewhat of a running joke throughout the township that in fact 5 o’clock Denny was right on schedule in that he almost never plows after 5 o’clock. In an entire winters worth of plowing you never saw Denny at night and he would come through on his first pass no matter the weather at about 6am to late to help anyone with a job in the real world get out but just ahead of the school bus so he would not catch any heat from the school. This not a story. I have spoken with Denny over the years and all you would hear from him is complaining to the point that he felt his job was a punishment and wanted soeone else to take over. I have made a lot of calls to members of the Kane County board as well as the Kane County highway dept and they where all to familiar with Mr. Long and his less than stellar track record but they where powerless to try to get Denny to at least try and follow the guidelines of the county which is to try and keep the roads passable by plowing at least every 6 hours during a weather event. There are 2 people in our subdivision that have quite a tale to tell about snowplowing. One day while plowing Denny broke a hydraulic line on one of the plows. Oil went everywhere. I believe that one of the homeowners saw it happen and asked Denny to clean it up to which he was told not to worry about it and then left. This spill (was quite large at least 10 gallons) was left on the road and quickly spread out to the point of a huge mess but Denny refused to clean it up. It took calls to the Kane County Highway dept., Health dept. and Illinois E.P.A before anything was done. The spill which could have been easily cleaned up right at the time it happened but because of Denny’s stubburn refusal to use good judgement it blew up into plastic lined dumptrucks to haul it away to god knows where at a huge cost to the township. It’s this kind of thinking that needs to stop. I have visited the township garage on several occaisons and have never found a soul around but I did notice 2 things. #1 there is a log book of hours on a desk for time plowed. I thought it was strange that 8 hrs for 2 guys for plowing on a few nights there had been no snowfall. I also thought it was odd to find the place open as a taxpayer I would have thought that Mr. Long would try and take a little better care of the building and lock the doors. #2 When I was at the garage I could not believe the lack of equipment 2 plow trucks and an old road grader. If that is all a 25 year term has to show for itself as far as equipment for all this so called work that he does himself I find that hard to believe. It’s hard to do any work on a road without a combination machine (a tractor with a bucket on the front and a small digging arm on the back) and get someone to believe you are doing all this work when you have nothing to do it with. I read some of these comments from people about some special relationship that Denny has across the county and I am more than shocked. If you call anyone at the adjacent townships or at the county level there are alot of hard feelings toward Mr. Long that are not helping anyone who lives in this township as it is unanimous they too think its time for a change. I think its time to get someone in there that is more up to date on how that job should be done and has had to work in the private sector where you only keep your job if you earn it not inherit a job nobody wanted and never try and stay current with how things are done in 2009. I don’t think half the people that have had enough of Mr. Long would be nearly as aggravated with him as they are if he would just talk to people in halfway civilized manner instead of always complaining about everything like he hated what he did. I have never known Mr. Long to ever be on call ever let alone 24hours a day as he is rarely ever seen in the township but rather in town. This job is not as demanding as the people who are trying to hold on to it are making it out to be. It just takes a little common sense and a good work ethic together with a little common courtesy which has been sorely lacking from the current road commisioner. I see his opponent is at the very least to take a little time along with a rake and a couple of dollars in grass seed and maybe meet a few people in the township and listen to there thoughts on what could be done to make everybodies lives here in the township a little more enjoyable. It sounds like just what the doctor ordered. You can mend alot of fences if you break from the good old boy network that has had a stranglehold on the services that EVERYONE in the township should enjoy and it costs almost nothing. I can speak for nearly everyone in this subdivision by saying ITS TIME FOR A CHANGE!!!!

9. Content Citizen

April 4, 2009 at 9:13 PM

Wow, Its good to see that the only farmhouse located within the kaneville subdivision has internet access.

10. V.O. Reason

April 4, 2009 at 11:58 PM

I see what all of Bush’s ex-spinmasters are doing these days. Writing comments to a newspaper. Gotta start over somewhere I guess. The job market is tough these days.

Just a couple comments.
    One; Anyone doing a job for more than 20 years in the service industry will have at least a few disgruntled customers. Some people just want to be reasonable when it comes to their own job performance.
    Two; If that Exxon Valdez oil spill needed to be cleaned up legally by plastic lined dump trucks, the man couldn’t and shouldn’t have done it himself anyway. Whomever called in the “feds” made the decision to make it an expensive cost to the Township. Cleaning it up with detergents and/or drying agents probably caused more damage to the asphalt than the spill itself.
    Three; If there isn’t enough equipment to do the job, I suggest you all write to you local tax assessor and ask to have your Township tax rate raised.
    Four; That was a pretty funny comment about hiding behind the curtains when people knock on the door. LOL
    Five; Momma always said, be careful what you wish for.
    Six; If it’s unanimous that it’s time for a change, why all the bashing? What’s the purpose? Just want to kick the guy out the door in a public forum? That’s not nice.
    Six point five; Lots of people with “real jobs” are still sound asleep at 5 am and would prefer not to have a snow plow waking them up at 5am. Besides, that gives time for the snow to blow back over my street before I leave at 7am. Can I please have my street cleared at 6:45am? Thank you.

V.O.R
    P.S. Seven; Unless everyone in the township has one of those “real jobs” it seems that this job is not one that people grow up yearning to become. I suggest you ALL treat both these candidates with the respect they deserve. Maybe it is time for a change, as that appears to be the theme these days, but there is no reason that people in a small community need to act like these men are selling a senate seat or, worse yet, sitting in a senate seat.

11. Gail

April 5, 2009 at 9:24 AM

The problem with this type of venue is that anyone can write whatever they want without being held accountable, and 99% of what I just read, I believe is based on spite rather than fact.

The first I heard of this “campaign” was a sound off letter in the Chronicle in favor off Koehring, with several inaccuracies as to Long’s abilities as township road commisioner. It ended with the comment, ‘It’s time we get what our tax money has been paying for and let the farmers of Kaneville do what they do best, which is farming’. I talked with Long after this opinion was printed (which smacked of politics unbecoming of a small town community) and was told by Long he didn’t believe Koehring wrote the letter and had heard he was a nice guy. Long was not slandering or aggressive towards Koehring – but didn’t have a warm fuzzy feeling towards the writer. Reading some the “material” (to put it nicely) in this comment section is disgusting and another sign of disrespect shown in this country overall. Please respect these people as residents and neighbors.

I will be voting for Long in this election for many reasons, the most important of which is the fact that he has worked within a small budget for many years, not impacting my taxes negatively. I want that experience in place.

12. Carol

April 5, 2009 at 11:59 AM

Denny Long has done a wonderful job in the time he has spent as road commissioner and I believe he should be re-elected. Our roads are always plowed early in the morning before the majority of the people have to go to work. I have never met the man nor do I have to in order to know that he is doing a great job. He has kept up our roads exteremly well. Re-elect Denny Long for our township!

13. dale

April 5, 2009 at 3:41 PM

I am a long time resident of Kaneville and feel that Dennis Long does a good job on all of the roads. He makes sure the streets are plowed and maintained. I am a farmer and have seen Kaneville change a lot and Denny does a good job maintaining the changing roads and ditches. So please vote Denny Long.

14. Dan

April 5, 2009 at 3:55 PM

Just a few facts for those interested and “A REAL TOWNSHIP RESIDENT” who can testify 100% accurate…

1. This is NOT the first time someone has run against Mr. Long

2. The EPA did NOT clean up the “huge” oil spill, Mr. Long did. When I drove home, I saw Mr. Lockwood there when Mr. Long was cleaning it up. By the way, if the EPA did clean it up, it would have been in the papers. Maybe Mr. Long needed to go pick up some oil dry stuff or does he carry it with him? If it was such a huge cost to the township, how much DID it cost?

3. Do we now have people in the community that will go into an unlocked building and rummage through stuff, they know is not theirs or their office? Regardless if the doors were locked or not. At which point will they start going into our homes when we are not home? I think it’s criminal and they should be punished if their identity is found out. Maybe Mr. Long was out grading or mowing roads or maybe he was buying new locks.

4. As for Mr. Long taking the grader to his house, did anyone stop to think, hum, maybe the township garage was blocked with people attending the Easter Egg Hunt?

5. How large is our budget? How much does a combination machine cost and do we need it? Mr. Long has gotten by without needing one and has done a wonderful job. Will Kaneville Township need to spend thousands of dollars on new equipment if Gary Koehring is elected? The price goes from a handful of grass seed to now a combination machine.

6. Why would you call Kane County to complain vs. calling the Township Board? I have seen Mr. Long plow after dark, and that too is another lie.

7. I find it hard to believe you have so much time to call around and talk with other township officials about Mr. Long, when you’re always plowing your own road and why would they tell you anything, anyway?

15. A. Shamed

April 5, 2009 at 5:47 PM

I think it’s embarrassing and shameful that Jan, Ginny, Barb and everyone else feel the need to ridicule someone that wants to make Kaneville a better place for all and “actually do something” about all the issues regarding what needs to be done. And, please don’t bother responding back about the issues. You all know what the issues are.

Gary wants to make the town/village a better place to live.

Is Denny Long so desperate for votes? Apparently so.

Experience matters you say? Well so does neglect and laziness.

I’m saddened and ashamed of all of you and your comments. Kaneville needs a change and Gary seems to be our man.

AS

16. Rick

April 5, 2009 at 6:08 PM

A Shamed

You are wrong! Denny Long is the Right Person for the Job! My family stands behind him all the way! Get your INFO RIGHT

17. Megan

April 5, 2009 at 8:31 PM

To all of you who are writting in this forum,

This is not the place to personally attack either of the candidates; like them or not.
    A. Shamed, you stated: “I think it’s embarrassing and shameful that Jan, Ginny, Barb and everyone else feel the need to ridicule someone” and you go on yourself to state, “Is Denny Long so desperate for votes? Apparently so,” and “Experience matters you say? Well so does neglect and laziness.” To end your note you also said, “I’m saddened and ashamed of all of you and your comments.”
    Let me just bring to your attention that you just taken part in this ridicule. Why is it that your eyes only see ridicule directed toward Gary? You have just brought yourself to the level of all other people ridiculing. You should now be A. Shamed of yourself.

18. Josh

April 5, 2009 at 9:08 PM

If you take the time to read this,
    Remember when you are making your decision as to whom you are voting for, it will be a four year term. It is important to consider whom the residents will be relying on for those four years. Equally important is that of the limited funds available to work with, if the budget runs out, it is empty for the rest of that year.
    It may not be rocket science to be a road commissioner. But it does require skills of prioritizing jobs, following through to complete each task, and time management skills. It is beneficial to have the ability to take the time, no matter what time of day or night, to complete what needs to be done for our community. Familiarity with the township roads and boundaries is especially important for snowplowing. The commissioner has to be able to work cooperatively with Kane County. For example, boundaries over lap, each party needs their time and space for optimal work conditions; communication needs to be open on both ends.
    Before an extreme change is made consider this idea. To be a decent road commissioner, one should consider trying the job under an experienced professional before diving head first into the position. Learning the tricks of the trade and possible areas of improvement would benefit all of the Kaneville roadways and residents.
    I am voting with confidence for Dennis Long.

19. Time 4. Achange

April 6, 2009 at 11:29 AM

I would like to commend Gary Koehring for deciding to try and bring Kaneville Township up to the year 2009 by running for Township Road Commisioner. I find it more than a coincidence that the current road commisioner who has had the job for 28 years does not have a single person from any other elected office that he has supposedly worked so well with in the past come out and endorse his running for his 8th term in office in fact I encourage you to pick up your phones and call any office around from the county down to any other township and ask there experience with Kaneville Twp.. It speaks volumes without me saying a word about how that position has had a breakdown from public service position to one of an entitlement. I feel the township owes Mr. Long a thank you for time served and we should let a younger more energetic person give it a try. Mr. Koehrings experience and private sector work ethic are something long overdue. I see the comments on here that are loaded with a lot of denial and sarcasm aimed at a man that only wants to do a better job of whats been happening in a township. It is hard to belive that some type of equipment hasn’t been purchased in the last 28 years to allow the road commisioner to be able to do something as simple as replace a culvert without having to hire someone else to do it. I only hear from Mr. Long that Kaneville always seems to be broke when in fact Kaneville Township has one of the highest if not the highest tax multipliers in all of Kane county with very little to show for it. I don’t feel the taxpayers are being well served by the same old bunch of characters doing the same old thing hoping for a different result. I have spoken to several people who have seen Mr. Long for the first time in his tenure and there really isn’t anything said about what he will do different but a constant bashing of the Mr.Koehring for trying to make a change is a constant. I actually saw the Kaneville snow plow out last night can’t say the same about the snow before that or the rest of the winter but it’s like don’t bother shutting the doors on the barn now the cows are long gone. I encourage everyone either way to get out and vote tomorrow April 7. To vote for a change for the better in Gary Koehring

20. Dan

April 6, 2009 at 5:05 PM

I also would like people to call other township officials, the EPA, Kane County and then the Kaneville Township Board. You will hear a very different story than the supporters of Gary Koehring want you to believe. I have not read any sarcasm or denial just facts refuting the lies. Does Time4Achange really think the voters will believe Kaneville Township has money? Even if Kaneville has one of the highest tax multipliers in all of Kane County, there are only a couple hundred people and hardly any businesses. Where is the money coming from? If Mr. Long had bought new equipment then someone would complain there were not enough roads paved…I bet it’s cheaper to hire out the job for which a “combination machine” would be used for vs. paying the interest on a machine, which would be used minimal times a year and by the time it would be paid off, would obsolete. With the debt the nation has, lets thank Mr. Long for using common sense and saving the Township money . As for individuals not knowing Mr. Long, he is at every township meeting, which is open to the public. Quit acting like children & quit the lies. We wonder why the children of the country act the way they do, because they see their parents typing nasty lies on a computer and sending them off anonymously.

21. Kaneville Resident

April 6, 2009 at 8:08 PM

I just took the time to read the above postings after someone told me they were there. I could not believe that some of these accusations came from some of the people of Kaneville. The main reason I moved my family here 16 years ago was because of how friendly the people were here. I attend most of the township meetings and only on one occasion has anyone come to the meeting to complain about any drainage problem and Mr Long handled it in a timely manner. I also know of a water problem in one of the subdivisions up off of Keslinger Rd and he has had several meetings with landowners and the county officials. His hands are tied on what he can do about some of this because of county restrictions as some of the water has to pass under their roads. As far as the other drainage issues in the village, it is just that, a village problem not a township one . I know Mr Long has been in contact with the county as well in assisting village officials in coming up with a solution. As most people may or may not know, county government is not a fast moving system and as I said before drainage issues have to be approved through the county.

I will be voting for Dennis Long on Tuesday because I feel he is doing a great job with the resources that he has. I urge you to join me in re-electing Dennis.

22. Paul D.

April 6, 2009 at 8:18 PM

Wow!! What a mess.

I’m not sure who will make the better road commissioner, and I don’t believe half of the remarks that are on this site. I do however understand the passion and frustration that folks feel for there friend and or family member, when they are being attacked. I haven’t heard a bad word come from the either candidate,only there supporters that are over zealously trying to be helpful.

The following is not an opinion, but rather a true story that I feel the voters should be aware of.

The only dealing that I have ever had with Mr Long, was about two years ago, when I was trying to get a stop sign placed at the corner of Elm and Locust.I witnessed many close calls, from cars pulling out in front of oncoming traffic, and on more than one occasion, I had a car pull right out in front of me. The intersection was not marked and I was concerned for the the safety of all that traveled that area,especially my own family ( you know how that is). I went to the township meeting and addressed my concerns, but to no avail.
    Finally I got the ear of someone that proved to be quite effective.This individual worked for about three month’s with Kane county. They (Kane county) came out and did a road study and determined that indeed we did need a stop sign at that intersection.Once the sign was placed I went to the next township meeting to tell everyone thanks for there efforts. After the meeting was adjourned and we were all leaving, Denny( Mr Long) says to me, and I quote ” Now that you have your sign, are you going to buy a police car and make everyone stop. You know no one will stop for that sign don’t you?” What a thing to say to someone that was only trying to help!!

My “elected official” failed me that day, and I’ve been waiting for someone else to vote for ever since.

My day has come!!
    Paul D.

23. Time 4 Achange

April 6, 2009 at 8:40 PM

I just don’t know what it takes for some people who claim to have lived here along time and are so in touch with whats going on to be so out of touch with reality. If you could learn how to use that box someone showed you how to complain on and try and use it as a learning tool you could go on Google Earth and see that there are around 300 SINGLE FAMILY HOMES in Kaneville Township and it will probably surprise you to learn that there is usually more than 1 person inside so you might want to up that couple of hundred number. I don’t recall anyone ever selling a home in this same area for less than $200,000 so isn’t the crying poor song getting a little old? It is just crazy to try and vilify Mr. Koehring for wanting to make things better in Kaneville Township by trying to make him out to be un qualified when the current road commisioner had zeroe experience when he started. Don’t take this as an endorsement to spend more money but the old saying it takes money to make money well in the working end of the road maintenence game it takes money to save money. It is hard to believe that a mere suggestion on how to make improvements to the highway dept. in an effort to cut costs is met with such resistance. No one is saying anything about buying any machine in particular and certainly not a new one but to not have the ability to do any digging of any type without having to hire someone to do it is not cost effective in any way shape or form. To make a statement that a machine for digging of any type will be obsolete is just plain crazy as with any machine if there was a qualified person in charge with minimal care that machine would out last the next to guys because unless they invent a machine that floats that type of machine would NEVER EVER BECOME OBSOLETE. Its like saying to a farmer “HEY THAT TRACTORS TO OLD IF YOU DON’T GET RID OF IT IT WILL BE OBSOLETE” you will never hear that. If the current Road Commissioner thinks that hiring all the digging work out such as re-grading ditches, re-placing culverts, and repairing field tiles is the answer than that is your example of no common sense being used at all! I know that excavating labor can run from $150 per hr. to as much as $300 per hr. for an operator plus machine plus fuel. I think thats a lot of money in anyones book! I like the reference to the nation being in debt. It should have taught even the most hard headed person out there about what the last guy did for 8 years in not listening to anyone, being stubborn and doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results it created some of the biggest problems this country has ever seen. If you don’t change with the times they will leave you behind. I believe that Mr. Koehring is the change that Kaneville Township needs. I know he is able to run any machine himself instead of paying someone else thus saving a lot of money and will be doing the job right. I think I have made myself quite clear and the guy shoveling the B.S. is not me.

24. Royce

April 6, 2009 at 9:05 PM

These are some interesting tactics here. I have voted for change before. If you are trying to support your candidate then tell me why he is going to be better. Tell me what his plan is. All I see on here is people taking cheap shots at the incumbent and saying how Dale Koehring has the change we need and how he is “our guy”. Seriously, that is real reassuring. There is no talk of what he is going to do or what his plan or if he even has a budget prepared.

25. No Winners

April 6, 2009 at 10:20 PM

In reading through this small-minded, mean-spirited catastrophe, I realized it doesn’t matter who gets the most votes; there will be no winners in this election. I doubt this little part time position will make or break either candidate or their supporters. What will last a very long time is the hurt and anger between the two camps. I need to re-assess Kaneville – it certainly isn’t the welcoming small town I have thought it to be.

26. Royce

April 12, 2009 at 1:51 AM

get out the vote. If you are happy with your KFPD trustees then head to the town meeting on monday. Don’t let (i’m not going to name but you all know whom im taling about)sway your opinion. Just because he didnt get his way with the road com, vote, dont think he has given up. Get out the vote K-ville

27. lilone

April 12, 2009 at 5:43 PM

Maybe all of our Kaneville Troubles would go away if the little one in town that lives in the big white house (we all know who I’m talking about) would just become Mayor instead of just acting like one! We might as well through that out there if we are going to start bashing everyone in town that wants to have Town Power pulling ability.