SG Village Office receives inquiries regarding door-to-door solicitors
SUGAR GROVE—The Sugar Grove Village Office has been receiving many inquiries regarding door-to-door solicitors. Bear in mind the following:
• Never share personal information or account numbers with anyone; you are under no obligation to do so.
• All solicitors must be registered with the village; you have the right to ask to see their registration.
• Solicitors are only allowed to come to your front door—they should never approach you if you are in your back yard, or come to your back door.
• Solicitation may only occur between the hours of 8 a.m. and 8 p.m., and not on Sundays or holidays.
• Consider posting “no solicitors” on your residence. The sign can be as simple as a hand written half-sheet of paper on your front door.
Remember to exercise caution, don’t give out personal information, sign a contract or pay up front for services. Trust yourself. If you are intrigued by what the solicitor has to offer, ask them to leave paperwork for you to read at your pace. Don t be pressured. If you ask a solicitor to show their registration and they won’t, or if you ask them to leave and they won’t, call 9-1-1.
This is also the time of year when home improvement scams can occur. Use caution when hiring a company or person to perform a service for you. Most contractors who work in the village need to be registered. If you would like to check to see if a contractor is registered, call (630) 466-8954 (this number is only for contractors, not solicitors). For solicitors, you can call the non-emergency police line at (630) 466-4526 for information. However, again, always feel free to dial 9-1-1 for an immediate response.
We have also been receiving calls regarding the switch letters from Com Ed. These letters are part of the process of the municipal aggregation and are the second step in notifying you that the village’s municipal aggregation power supplier has been selected (Verde), and that you will be switched from Direct Energy unless you opt-out.
If you have any questions about the aggregation, visit www.sugar-grove.il.us and view the Electrical Power Aggregation Plan Information link.