Fire leaves SG family with nothing

By on August 14, 2009

by Susan O’Neill
SUGAR GROVE—A fire in Sugar Grove last week left a Kaneland family homeless and two youngsters and their mom with nothing but the clothes they were wearing at the time.

The fire, which started in the garage of the Lawrence family’s townhome on Capital Drive on Aug. 5, gutted their home and did structural damage to their next door neighbor’s homes on both sides.

Jordyen, a Kaneland High School freshman, her brother Ryan, a sophomore, and a friend were home at the time. All three escaped the house unharmed. Sugar Grove firefighters rescued one of their cats, but the other is unaccounted for.

“It took an hour to get the fire under control,” Fire Chief Marty Kunkel said. “Unit C (the Lawrence’s home) will have to be torn down completely,”

Although the fire is under investigation, Kunkel said there is nothing suspicious about its origin.

Sugar Grove Police Chief Brad Sauer said that a number of people within the community have stepped up to help the family.

“It’s a bad time for this to happen,” Sauer said. “People are getting ready to go back to school. Just think of it. They literally had nothing left.”

Kaneland High School Assistant Principal Diane McFarlin has been in touch with Melissa Lawrence, the mom. The family is temporarily staying with some friends in the area.

McFarlin said that the family’s friends, neighbors and church community have all been ready, willing and able to help.

“It’s been awesome,” she said.

Castle Bank employee Lisa Lund said that since Melissa and her children are currently staying with friends, they are still in the process of figuring out what they need.

“She’s just pretty overwhelmed,” Lund said.