Letter: Government ignores those it governs

By on December 3, 2009

Good versus evil, right versus wrong, fundamentalist versus idealist. You can take meaning from a written or spoken word, but what is the true meaning?

At this time of thanksgiving, we have to look at where we are and find out what is truth and what is fiction. Many people have a great fear about the current government—the overstepping of a central government. As Thomas Jefferson said, “The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.”

What are the progressives trying to do to health care? They are trying to rework the facility of the government, again, to institute that it is the responsibility of the government to dole out health care to every American citizen at the expense of the “rich” through excessive taxes.

I do not see the federal government being the arbiter of my health care, nor do the majority of the people. I do believe that the citizens of this nation are responsible for themselves, a point of pride over many decades. At the same time, we, as a nation, have always taken care of those less fortunate. This has not been a dictate of a central government but a belief that has stemmed from the founding of our country, a founding that included a belief in God and as stated in the Declaration of Independence, “That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.”

At this point, the individuals chosen to govern have decided to ignore those that they govern and could well find out that we are still ruled at the pleasure of those governed. We do have the right to bear arms, but nowhere in our founding documents does it state that we have a right to federally subsidized healthcare. A reshaping of our healthcare is not inherently a bad thing, as long as a free market is the basis by which we make our corrections.

President Obama promised hope and change during the election, and so far we have lost hope in our economy and he may well see a tidal wave of change come the elections in 2010 and 2012 because of the extreme policies he, Speaker Pelosi and Senate Leader Reid has passed since the elections of 2008.

David Selenis
Maple Park

1. RM

December 3, 2009 at 8:27 PM

Only right wing extremists who are trying to undermine healthcare for the needy believe the government is trying to take over the entire healthcare system. Most of us will not need or accept a public option. It certainly isn’t right for those of us that have insurance to deny healthcare to those who can’t afford it or have no reasonable access because they are unemployed or underemployed or denied insurance. If we have the right to bear arms then we certainly should have the right to health insurance. How else can we get care if some nut with a gun wants to use it for random acts of violence? There have been no extreme policies passed since the 2008 elections other than preventing total financial collapse. Obama inherited a mess. Where do you think we’d be if Bush & Cheney could have kept control another 4 years?

2. hellostuman

December 8, 2009 at 1:26 PM

Wow, tough to argue with such sound and level headed logic.

I guess I must be one of the right wing extremists who was not very happy to learn that in the early drafts of the bill my money was not just going to the needy, but also to be used for people not here legally and to help pay for abortions (let’s just list two things and keep this short).

Also, how long do you think you will remain one of “those of us that have insurance” from and employer. Do you think it just might be possible that an employer will stop providing you (or anyone) insurance if: A) It’s cheaper for them not to, and B) they know you can just go on the public option.

When a bill is written where if I don’t buy something I can be fined and possibly jailed, I would consider that an “extreme policy”!

3. RM

December 8, 2009 at 8:49 PM

There is no language that says illegal aliens will be covered but the response to that of course is that Obama will make them legal after the bill is passed. Abortion is legal so get over it. When you have a uterus you can make the choice, otherwise MYOB. I’m not pro-abortion but I don’t believe anyone has the right to force a woman to give birth or force her to have an abortion. Your body – your choice. Preferably not abortion – but sometimes it’s the least worst option. All employers aren’t going to drop insurance plans just because there may be some type of public option. That’s just another Republican scare tactic.

4. RM

December 8, 2009 at 8:58 PM

I believe everyone should have some type of health insurance. Why should I be left holding the bag, forced to pay higher costs for healthcare because someone chooses to be irresponsible and then walks away without paying after an unexpected event? Don’t you think that it’s rather “extreme” to receive healthcare without paying when you could have had an insurance plan? If we treated people like cars – no collision coverage, to the scrap heap with you – people would scream bloody murder. Heaven forbid that they should take some responsiblity and participate in a healthcare plan. That’s why there needs to be affordable options for everyone.

5. hellostuman

December 9, 2009 at 9:24 AM

Since Congress is controlled by the Dems at this point in time, then it must be a Demarcate scare tactic that I’m using and not a “Republican scare tactic” because what I was referring to came from the Congressional Budget Office (CBO). On Monday the CBO stated that it believes “up to 10 million people could lose their employer-based insurance coverage under the Senate’s health care reform bill.” The CBO assumes many employers “would opt to pay the fine and drop their insurance plans.”

On the topic of the Pro-Choice/Pro-Life debate I always MMOB, but since they plan to use money provided by people with and without a uterus, I’m simply saying that I’d rather my tax dollars not be used that way. That way I can continue to MMOB.

6. RM

December 11, 2009 at 11:56 AM

The CBO is supposedly nonpartisan and I don’t know how anyone could “assume” anything. That’s not how legitimate statistics are created. Of course we all know the people in charge create the statistics they want to paint the picture they wish to show. That happens over and over regardless of who is in charge. Watching the current dog & pony show in the Senate, I don’t have much confidence anything will be achieved. Having to go back to the House for compromise could kill the whole effort. There are too many serious issues to rush this through just for the sake of getting it done.

Since 60% of Americans have employer based insurance, I can’t imagine there wouldn’t be a lot of rage directed at any employer who opted to drop insurance options for employees. Americans have come to expect employers to offer something for benefits (regardless of whether it is right or wrong). Companies have been destroyed under the weight of it all. No magic solution unfortunately.

If have to agree with your last comment that I’d rather my tax dollars not be used that way either. But then there’s a lot of other more wasteful things that concern me more and they certainly waste far more money that could be put to better use.